Monday, December 1, 2008

The Morning After

The morning after a holiday usually starts with grunts, groans, and growls, not to mention the gnashing of teeth. So, last night, I talked with Spark (our chief grunter, groaner, and growler) and told him he had to be nice this morning when Momma or Daddy woke him up. We talked about how he should act in the morning (smile and say "Good morning") for about a minute, and I asked him if he understood. He said yes.

This morning, I got off to a slightly late start. But, I nursed Flower and then flipped on Spark's light. After about 10 minutes, I went back into his room to begin the prodding. "Spark, it's time to get up and go to school," I said as I started trying to wake him up gently but firmly. I removed one of his blankets, and he stretched all fours out like a cat. Then, a miracle occurred. THE BOY SMILED AT ME. Granted, he did not say "Good morning, Momma" or anything angelic, but he SMILED!!

I had planned out his clothes for today, which was easy because it's school t-shirt day at his school. He whined some about having to get dressed, but didn't grunt, groan, growl, or gnash. He also ate his cereal in record time. Some mornings, Spark labors over his Cheerios like he's painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling. But this morning, he noshed one-and-a-half bowls in less than 15 minutes.

I had planned for the worse last night, thinking that Buzz would have to leave before I even had Spark halfway ready. When I have to take Spark to school, it throws my whole day off. I have to get Flower bundled up because, yes, even though it's in the upper 40s here, that's still very cold to us. Then, I have to walk him into school because they don't allow drop offs after 8:10 a.m. After we get into the school, he has to get a tardy slip. Then, we sometimes have to search high and low for his class. After I finally deposit him, I often start talking with the office manager, which puts me out another 30 minutes because I enjoy talking with her.

But, I got Spark out the door with his dad by 8:55, enough time for Buzz to drop him off and get to work on time. And time for me to get Flower settled in for her two-hour nap without interruption. Today, I celebrate this morning after miracle for so many reasons.

No comments:

 
Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites