Friday, January 16, 2009

Foodie Friday: Favorite Frozen Pizzas

My family loves pizza. It's one thing that everyone will eat. It might very well be the only thing that everyone will eat. I try to keep some frozen pizzas in the freezer for quick lunches and for times when I am not around to cook dinner for the family. Buzz, even in his limited culinary skills, can definitely cook up a great frozen pizza.

So, the convenience is great, but I don't love all the bad ingredients found in a lot of frozen pizzas, such as preservatives, hydrogenated oils, and high fat meats, such as extra-greasy sausage and pepperoni. I also prefer to use as many all-natural and organic ingredients as possible.

I'm also experimenting with ways I can cook pizzas myself, thus having total control of the ingredients, and freeze them. Doing so should also shave some serious bucks off the cost of the pizza because most of the organic pizzas are around $5 each, even for the store brands. But, meanwhile, we have been testing several brands that offer healthier options. The verdict:

Whole Foods Market makes a great cheese pizza. It's about $5, and it would definitely take two of those to feed the entire family.

Amy's Kitchen has some tasty options as well. Their plain cheese pizzas are great, but I especially like the spinach pizza for the added "green" element. The spinach is not overwhelming, but it gives the pizza a little more depth. Amy's also makes a margherita pizza that is pretty good, too. It's a little slim on the cheese, but the basil was very flavorful. All the Amy's pizzas are about $5 each, too. Several of them are made with a whole wheat crust, for added grains and fiber. (One other note: It might be because I do not like soy "cheese," but their vegan pizzas with soy cheese don't do much for me. )

Finally, California Pizza Kitchen, while not "organic," has mostly decent ingredients on a lot of their pizzas. Particularly tasty is the white pizza. It also has a crust that is very flaky and crispy, which I love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ωas suggested thiѕ ωebѕite bу my cousin.
I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You're amаzing!
Thanks!

Visit my wеb-site: utility trucks
Also see my web page - utility trucks

 
Parenting Blogs - Blog Top Sites